Indiana man drowns during swim in Gulf of Mexico | News
NORTH REDINGTON BEACH, Florida (AP) - Authorities say an Indiana man apparently drowned while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico near St. Petersburg.
Pinellas County Sheriff's officials say 56-year-old Kenton Parker and 21-year-old Gary Ford swam from the beach to a buoy Sunday afternoon.
The Tampa Bay Times reports the men started having a difficult time staying above water. Parker grabbed onto the buoy while Ford swam back to shore for help.
A Seminole Fire Department crew found Parker unresponsive in the water. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead about 4:30 p.m.
Officials say Parker was from Kokomo, Ind., and Ford is from Indianapolis. Parker and his family have vacationed in the Tampa area for the past 15 years.
Upcoming Events near Pinellas Beaches
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- INVESTIGATORS: Corporation forces homeowners to sell property
- Detectives looking for man who robbed a Palm Harbor Radio Shack
- Detectives arrest Holiday man for child molestation
- Traffic: NB lanes on US 19 at Tampa Rd closed
- Pinellas County Sheriff's Office to conduct joint sobriety checkpoint this weekend