Tampa Bay gets another high-profile movie | News
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (AP) - Another high-profile movie is going to be filmed in the Tampa Bay area.
The Tampa Bay Times reported Tuesday that a James Franco movie called "Spring Breakers" will be filmed around St. Pete Beach. It also features former Disney Channel starlets Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens, and Heather Morris of the "Glee" TV show.
Industry trade reports say "Spring Breakers" is the story of college students who rob a restaurant to finance their Florida vacation. They land in jail but are bailed out by a rapping drug and weapons dealer played by Franco, who in return wants them to murder his rival.
The movie is expected to be in theaters sometime next year.
Last year's "Dolphin Tale," filmed mostly in Clearwater, made nearly $95 million at the box office.
Upcoming Events near Pinellas Beaches
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- INVESTIGATORS: Corporation forces homeowners to sell property
- Detectives looking for man who robbed a Palm Harbor Radio Shack
- Detectives arrest Holiday man for child molestation
- Traffic: NB lanes on US 19 at Tampa Rd closed
- Pinellas County Sheriff's Office to conduct joint sobriety checkpoint this weekend