Pinellas County in the five day 'cone of uncertainty' for Hurricane Irene | Environment
Pinellas County, Florida -- The National Hurricane Center has placed the Tampa Bay area in the five day cone of uncertainty for the approach of Hurricane Irene. This means there is the possibility that the area may experience some impact from the storm during the next five days.
Now is the time to begin tracking the system and stay tuned to local media for the latest on the storm’s progress.
Some important tips to follow during this time include:
- Know your evacuation zone
- If you live in a lower evacuation zone, find out now where you will go.
- If you live in a higher evacuation or a non-evacuation zone, begin the necessary steps to prepare your home and yard.
- Review your family’s disaster plan.
- Get your survival kit and important papers ready. Purchase any items you will need to complete your survival kit now to avoid long lines and limited supplies.
- If you have special needs, be sure your caregiver begins to implement your plan and you are registered for special needs evacuation if you have no other options.
While this is no guarantee that this storm will impact Pinellas County, it is important that you monitor the situation carefully and ensure your plans are in place now.
For information about how to prepare for a storm, find your evacuation level or other important hurricane preparedness tips, visit www.pinellascounty.org/emergency or call (727) 464-3800. Join Pinellas County EM on Twitter. Pinellas County government is also on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. Pinellas County complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Upcoming Events near Pinellas Beaches
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- INVESTIGATORS: Corporation forces homeowners to sell property
- Detectives looking for man who robbed a Palm Harbor Radio Shack
- Detectives arrest Holiday man for child molestation
- Traffic: NB lanes on US 19 at Tampa Rd closed
- Pinellas County Sheriff's Office to conduct joint sobriety checkpoint this weekend